|A History of STRUM
and the TOWN OF UNITY by Roy Matson
|1900 - 1950
The turn of the century marked quite a change in the thirty year old community. The
church, blacksmith and creamery were located north of the river but all other business
endeavors were located south of that stream near the tracks. The Carter Creek Road, laid
out by Evenson, became the main street of Strum and village activity was beginning a
couple decades of growth.
Rural Free Delivery of mail came in 1900. O. E. Hogue was the carrier and he traveled
north to Norseville and Nix Corner, postal stations at that time. Rural residents had much
apprehension about free delivery the first years but this feeling soon abated. In 1905 Ben
Borreson began serving route 2 south of town.
Around 1900 the Modern Woodmen, and insurance lodge, were active in this area and
sold residents on building a hall large enough for community-wide meetings and events.
The Temperance Society building was small and that group forbade dancing or most
entertainment. The MWA hall was built and served the community for over fifty years. It
seemed to be refinanced and under new management about every fifth year. (see MWA
Growth of the village affected membership of the St. Paulís church. In 1902 a major
remodeling and expansion was done. Sivert Rekstad was the prime mover of this job.
About that time records show that steam engines used by threshermen were crashing
through bridges in the township. The town board passed a resolution ordering these
operators to carry heavy planks when traveling town roads which crossed streams. No
sooner had this been posted when Mark Rice and his Minneapolis steamer fell through the
river bridge, necessitating a major overhaul of that
|Scan of Original Page with Picture